Thursday, May 15, 2008

Reflux?

So Kyson's hospital visit went ok. Not a fun experience! But we got some answers. I had to hold him while they hooked him up to all the cords and such but then Kurtis took him back and held him for the procedure. I have a wonderful husband! I couldn't do it...watching him get the x-ray was hard enough. So Grandma Hahn came and she kept me company in the waiting room for a bit. The procedure was seriously 10mins if that..so fast! So we found out this...
1. Kyson has to grow out of his breathing problem. (stridor) Which is what we hoped for. This means he does NOT need corrective surgery.

2. He has Reflux. What is that you ask??? regurgitation of acid from the stomach
Symptoms:
Frequent spitting up or vomiting
Irritability when feeding
Refusing food or eating only small amounts
Arching the back while feeding
"Wet" burps- When a baby has a "wet" burp, a small amount of liquid is regurgitated as he burps.
Frequent hiccups
Frequent coughing
Poor sleep habits with frequent waking
It is strange because some of these symptoms JUST started happening. For the past couple of days for atleast one or two feedings I could NOT get him to eat. Atleast not at his schduled time. He would throw a huge fit for about 30-40mins. Then whine all through the feeding. You never think that your baby has it I guess because some of the symptoms are common for other things. Or just a difficult baby. But now that I have read this and am putting A and B together...it ALL MAKES SENSE! So Kyson was put on a presciption and in the book I have it says that you can see great results in your child within days. So we hope so. Kyson has had a hard time sleeping day and night. This might be what we have been waiting for and it just seems like a blessing that a minor procedure for a breathing problem can solve what seems like all his problems.
So many times you go to a Doctor and they just think the simplest thing. I mean I took him to the Doctor 5 times before they caught on that he had an ear infection! I knew something was wrong and no one would listen to me. Now thank goodness for this Doctor who took the time to look at my son!

3 comments:

The Youngs said...

I'm so glad you got some answers!!! And especially that he doesn't need the corrective procedure. I can't believe he's 4 months old!

Amy J said...

I'm glad he grew out his stridor and doesn't have to have surgery. let's hope this medicine helps! and cute background!

Anonymous said...

maija has had acid reflex probs. I watch what she eats and learn about how to keep her ph levels stable and she is much better. thankfully our little ones just keep getting stronger!